The Write Calling

Is writing your true calling? Here you'll find encouragements for writers, book reviews, publishing industry insider tips, and market news. Read musings on writing and publishing by Katey Coffing, Ph.D.: Life Coach for Women Writers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Published fiction and nonfiction author who embraces her creativity and coaches other women to do the same. For information and prices, visit Women-Ink.com.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

LA Story

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost a month since I've blogged. I didn't intend my hiatus to be this long! So, this will be a bit of a "catch up" post, and one that leans toward the personal. Apologies for any rambling--it's getting late and it's been a long (though excellent) day.

November was a highly interesting and often stressful month as I drove toward my writing deadlines. I'm happy to report that I accomplished those goals (yay)! Big thanks to the Sprinting Club for the support and mutual butt-whipping as we all raced toward our finish lines--here's a happy shout-out to Frieda, Maire and Mary! And FedEx made some good profits from me last week (sigh).

With my goals met, I was due some R&R time, and my dear husband, who sweetly put up with my tunnel vision for the past couple of months, was due some pampering. Since it was his birthday this week, we've come to LA to celebrate completed projects and birthday fun among friends and family. We're now lying in our hotel room in Los Angeles, watching the local news. (Why we're watching the local news, I don't know. I can't stand local news even when it's MY local news...Oh good, DH has finally fallen asleep, and I've confiscated the remote and switched to CNN.)

Since we arrived in LA, we've found ourselves dropping into bookstores to roam through the aisles. We've averaged 1.5 stores per day so far, without even planning it. Yes, there are bookstores at home, but this is our vacation, and we'll spend our time the way we like, heh heh.

Oh, and today turned out to be Celebrity Sighting Day. I never get the memo on these things, so it only became evident after the fact. Some background: before moving to the Tahoe area, I lived in LA for a total of 4 years, and only saw one celeb the whole time I was here--John Lithgow, who was walking his dog on the UCLA campus. Which wasn't too surprising a sighting, considering his wife and I both taught there. Oh, wait, two celebs--I also saw Edward James Olmos on campus once, backstage at an event during the LA Times Festival of Books.

Anyway, today we walked into a shipping store so my father-in-law could mail a bunch of packages, and there was Allison Janney (C.J. Cregg from The West Wing). I believe in telling people when they've done a great job--heck, I complimented a woman yesterday just for wearing some really cool boots--and I loved the C.J. character and would have liked to thank the actress who made her so delightful. But Ms. Janney was mailing her own set of packages and was wearing a "private face," clearly trying not to attract attention. So, I'll just leave my thanks here and let the universe take care of the delivery.

Tonight, DH and I went with his parents to a delicious birthday dinner at Koi in West Hollywood, which is a favorite restaurant of the in-laws. Michael Bolton showed up, and about five minutes later, so did Nicolette Sheridan of Desperate Housewives fame. (I think they're engaged or something, so the proximity makes sense.) I didn't get a good look at M.B.--my stepmother-in-law was much faster on the draw on that--but N.S. looks just as gorgeous in person as on the screen. And she is a TALL woman, folks. (So, come to think of it, is Allison Janney, but that's not much of a surprise, if you ever saw her onscreen standing next to Martin Sheen.)

Okay, it's way past midnight now and time to go hit the sheets. Tomorrow it's Korean BBQ (yum!), a Korean spa (ooooh, cheap scrubs and hot saunas), and then Benihana (DH's favorite) and--if we are still moving by then--some salsa dancing. I'm trying to get DH hooked on salsa, but the Reno/Tahoe area offers only slim pickings. We head home on Sunday, through what looks to be some snow. (Snow is a lot of fun to ski on, but not as much to drive through.) Next week I dig into edits on a WIP, help a client perfect a newly requested book proposal (big congrats, Jan!), and dive into some new possibilities and fun changes for Women-Ink.com.

Best of luck with your writing this coming week, folks! I'll be back to my own BIC (butt-in-chair) time on Monday, so just know you won't be alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home