The Write Calling

Is writing your true calling? Here you'll find encouragements for writers, book reviews, publishing industry insider tips, and market news. Read musings on writing and publishing by Katey Coffing, Ph.D.: Life Coach for Women Writers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

Published fiction and nonfiction author who embraces her creativity and coaches other women to do the same. For information and prices, visit Women-Ink.com.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A publishing industry history lesson

In the age of video games, iPods and the Nintendo Wii, how can we make sure books stay products of value? This is a question the entire industry is wrestling with, and I haven't yet seen the answer.

Agent Jane Dystel (of Dystel & Goderich Literary Management) has a new blog post with insights about the publishing industry, then and now. Since marketing/publicity seems to be "king" these days, check out her plea to those in charge of publishing houses on behalf of authors and their books.

10 Comments:

Blogger Nathalie Mallet said...

Hi Katey! I enjoy reading your blog and checking out the many links associated to the publishing industries that often pepper your posts. I especially like today’s link to Jane Dystel’s post. I found it really interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

March 08, 2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger Nathalie Mallet said...

Hi Katey! I enjoy reading your blog and checking out the many links associated to the publishing industries that often pepper your posts. I especially like today’s link to Jane Dystel’s post. I found it really interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

March 08, 2007 2:14 PM  
Blogger Nathalie Mallet said...

Hi Katey! I enjoy reading your blog and checking out the many links associated to the publishing industries that often pepper your posts. I especially like today’s link to Jane Dystel’s post. I found it really interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

March 08, 2007 2:16 PM  
Blogger Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

Hi Nathalie! I'm so glad you enjoy the links. I'm not sure the industry can change in the way she suggests, even though the idea is wonderful. It just wonder if the horses haven't escaped the barn already. (sigh)

Still, seems like a good thing for people to discuss, just in case there's a chance to corral 'em...

March 08, 2007 2:44 PM  
Blogger Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

P.S., Nathalie: I have THE PRINCES OF THE GOLDEN CAGE on pre-order. The cover is swoon-worthy! Big congrats to you and Jenny for the sale. :)

March 08, 2007 2:50 PM  
Blogger Nathalie Mallet said...

Woo! You’ve pre-ordered the book…I’m so excited. That cover is great isn’t it! Gabrielle portal, the artist who did it, gave an Errol Flynnesque quality to the male lead. I love it! Thank you for buying my book, Katey. Means the world to me. Support is so important for new authors. So far, I bought two of James novels, pre-ordered Vintage, Steve’s book, and just received Jeff’s yesterday. Now I only need yours.

March 08, 2007 3:38 PM  
Blogger Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

I'm glad to do it! I love the setting. Plus, with that stunning cover, how could I not? (g)

My butt is SO numb from sitting through revisions, but they're making this book ROCK. When it's all done, Jenny and I will have our fingers crossed for an announcement later this spring/early summer... =)

March 08, 2007 3:56 PM  
Blogger Nathalie Mallet said...

That’s wonderful! I look forward to hearing all about it. It was really nice talking to Katey. Sadly, now I have to go make super. (Sigh)

March 08, 2007 4:57 PM  
Blogger Nathalie Mallet said...

Supper. I meant supper. And sadly its taste wasn't super.

March 08, 2007 6:13 PM  
Blogger Katey Coffing, Ph.D. said...

LOL! I knew what you meant. Gotta love typos. Anyway, I'll have your gorgeous book in my hands soon. Here's to a kick-ass year for you, Nathalie!

March 08, 2007 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home